We care about the environment and people
LSC’s corporate responsibility approach is based on the sustainable business principles defined by the United Nations. We aim for a better working environment and the continuous reduction of our carbon footprint.
LSC & responsibility
Niam, the property investment company that owns LSC, is committed to responsible business and environmentally considerate property investments. That is why, at LSC, we track energy and water consumption, monitor emissions, use LED lighting in shared spaces, recycle and sort waste, want to know the source of restaurant food, and encourage people to cycle to work, use the stairs and otherwise maximise their physical activity, as well as to use public transport.
Our corporate responsibility approach is based on the sustainable business principles defined by the United Nations, to which we are committed at all levels of our operations. Although Niam is a profit-making property investment fund, we never seek to maximise our profits at the expense of the environment or employee wellbeing.
To us, responsibility means taking into consideration not just sustainability, ecology and environmental considerations but also social responsibility. We want to be the world’s best workplace for our own employees and offer prime working conditions for all our tenants.
LSC holds a BREEAM environmental certificate. This, Niam’s Green environmental initiative and the EnerKey consumption tracking system allow us to monitor and significantly reduce energy consumption in our properties.
To us, responsibility also means transparency. All Niam employees are committed to our Code of Conduct, and in data protection matters, we always comply with the recommendations of the EU General Data Protection Regulation.
The purpose of all this is to reduce LSC’s carbon footprint to as small as possible. We are not yet there, but we are making continuous efforts to reach our goal.
We believe that a responsible business is also the most profitable business.
What is LSC’s responsibility strategy based on?
On the sustainable business principles defined by the United Nations (UN), to which both Niam, LSC’s owner, and Newsec, the property expert company that operates LSC, are committed to.
What is BREEAM?
The Building Research Establishment’s Environmental Assessment Method (BREEAM) is among Europe’s most trusted environmental certificates and an excellent tool for maintaining sustainability and tracking energy consumption. BREEAM helps us to monitor our environmental goals, plan and steer new construction and verify the results of various sustainability projects.
What is Niam Green?
Niam Green is Niam’s corporate initiative to reduce the environmental impact of the properties we own and the carbon footprint of our operations.
What is GDPR?
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a commonly adopted European Union (EU) Regulation, which lays out the provisions and principles that we adhere to in all our personal data and privacy processes.
What is EnerKey?
EnerKey is an advanced software system that we use to track and analyse consumption at LSC. EnerKey helps us to be even more ecological, even preventively.
Examples of LSC’s acts of responsibility
- We have launched an energy efficiency project that will allow us to save EUR 100,000 per year in maintenance fees. This will also save 238 tonnes of CO2 a year.
- We are carrying out a restaurant renovation that will allow us to save water and energy.
- Low-emission materials are used for renovations and alteration work for tenants.
- The lights in the common areas have been replaced with LED lights.
- We encourage “green” exercise and bicycling, in particular, by offering heated indoor bicycle parking.
- We recycle used furniture and materials as far as possible.
- We never take furniture to a landfill but always offer it for reuse.
- We provide guidance on the use of environmentally friendly cleaning products and pay attention to the frequency of cleaning.
- Building lighting is controlled with timers and motion sensors.
- Waterless urinals will be installed in the public toilets during 2020.
- We encourage and provide training for waste sorting.
- We take environmental aspects into consideration in all purchases.
- We also require our partners to make greener choices.